When I started here at the University of Michigan, I told the people I was to lead about my core values and expectations.
- Teamwork – I expect people to respect one another and work together for common goals.
- Transparency – I practice and expect open, proactive communication.
- Customer service – While we don’t touch patients directly, we are all part of the extended care team; clinicians and caregivers rely on our systems to safely care for patients. We must provide excellent customer service in every interaction.
- Accountability – Each of us needs to take ownership and deliver on our commitments.
- Innovation – We work for a leading organization in health care, as IT professionals we must always look for ways to innovate.
- Continuous improvement – I was delighted to learn of the culture of continuous improvement within UMHS and the focus on lean health care. There are always opportunities to improve.
- Results focus – We need to focus on end results. Even though process is important, we shouldn’t get bogged down in it.